Friday, February 25, 2011

Israeli Inspired Stuffed Peppers with Ground Lamb and Couscous

3 -  1 of each color, red,  yellow,  orange bell peppers

1  -  zucchini grated

1 -  large onion chopped

1 -  tablespoon of garlic

1 -  teaspoon of thyme

1 -  teaspoon rosemary

1 ½-  teaspoons of mint

¼ - teaspoon of Baharat

8 -  ounces of ground lamb

1- cup of Israeli couscous or sometimes called pearl  couscous

4 - tablespoons of lemon juice

1 2/3 cups of chicken stock

Olive oil
Salt
1 - 4 ounce container of plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup chopped Parsley

Slice the peppers in half lengthwise through the stems and remove the seeds. Place the peppers cut side down in a baking dish with a little bit of olive oil  and bake at 450 for about 15 minutes until they are lightly browned and  tender.  Then flip them over and leave in the dish.
    While the peppers are cooking start your filling by browning the onions,  after onions are slightly browned add in the garlic and herbs and stir for a minute or two,  add in the lamb and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, cook the lamb until it is brown and crumbly.

Pour in the chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the couscous, bring to a boil and cover until the couscous is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.  Then stir in the grated Zucchini and cover and simmer for another 5 min. Add a drizzle of olive oil if needed,  salt  to taste.  Combine the couscous and the lamb mixture together. Fill the peppers with about 2/3 cup of the lamb mixture put back In the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.  Top with a tablespoon of yogurt and a little bit of mint and serve.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'll admit sometimes I blog hop and always try to comment on a post I find interesting but too often I have to search pages before I get to a post decent enough to comment on. BUT NOT FOR YOUR PAGE!!

    I landed on your page and was slammed with this great picture of food and was instantly hungry and am now crawling your site for more recipes. You better believe I'm going to try to make this one tomorrow. Good job!

    I should email you and let you know how my recipe turns out. I think I want to try the chicken curry one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuffed peppers. This looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems so delicious and i think it s healthy as well , i m in a diet recently and need smth light:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy your website makes me drool :)~ btw I am a new gfc follower from Mom Bloggers Club.
    hope you follow me back :D

    www.socalledmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim. Your post is up for Tuesday Toast. Please check it out :-)
    www.suzyeats.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim-I love your Israeli inspired stuffed peppers. I love all kinds of peppers, and this one is so unique colorful, and so yummy! Israeli couscous is so delicious by itself, but with the stuffing in the peppers...divine!

    ReplyDelete